Do you want to know what customers want and how to increase sales? I have a solution that works-stalking your competitors.
Your competitors can teach you what your customers want. Instead of trial and error, you can quickly see what they want and what solutions they like. This information helps you make your websites and social media effective and enticing so people will prefer you over your competitors.
In this article, I will show you step by step how to do it and what you are looking for. So, let’s begin.
Discover How Your Website Can Increase Sales
Using the Google browser, search your business type and hometown. A directory list will appear in your search results. Click on one of the choices, and it will take you to Google My Business Directory. The list that appears is your competitors. We are now going to stalk your competitors. Pick one of them you think you would trust to do business with. Go to their website.
When you arrive at the site, what is your first impression? This should be more of a gut feeling rather than a thinking one. Is the website cheerful, drab, fun, outdated ….whatever your first impression may be.
Next, look for their call to action (CTA). Call to action is what you want the customer to do. On service websites, the CTA is usually “schedule an appointment.” Where is the CTA located, and how are they emphasizing it?
Finally, skim through the site. Put aside your bias and pretend to be a customer looking at the site for what would you like to see?
- Is it easy to find what you are looking for?
- What services do they provide, and how do they describe them?
- Anything they do that is unique?
- How do they personalize their business?
- What images do they use?
- Do they have a slogan?
- Does the site reflect what customers want?
- Do they have ways for the customers to contact them to share concerns or answer questions?
How beneficial do you think their sales message was? What is working and what is not? Do they appear to know what customers want?
Use GoogleMyBusiness to Know What Customers Want
Return to the directory. Did the store fill out the guide? If the directory states “Manage this business,” -they have not. It is a big mistake not to take the time to fill out the Google My Business directory.
Scroll down to the comment section and note both positive and negative reviews about the business. It will help you identify what emotional ties their customers have to the company and their problems. Take note of what the customers are praising. This is what the customers want more of.
Pay close attention to what customers are wanting that the business isn’t offering.
Yes, Social Media Can Help You Increase Sales
Search for the name of the business on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.
- Please pay close attention to what they are highlighting in their posts. Is it a specialized service? Are they emphasizing personal attention? Are they promoting other things such as speed, being an expert, etc. This is selling their product to their followers.
- Are they posting Facebook Live videos or Facebook Stories?
- Are they using lots of product images? Product images would include pictures of groomed dogs, bouquets, hair cuts, etc. Any photos that show the end product of the service.
- Are they giving advice and tips?
- Are they using surveys and polls to know what customers want?
How to Evaluate Your Competitors
Once you have stalked your competition, fill out a sheet noting strengths, weaknesses, and opportunities for each competitor. I recommend you track at least ten competitors.
- Strengths -thinking like a customer, list three things they are doing well.
- Weaknesses – list three things they need to improve according to their customers or your observations
- Opportunities – something they aren’t doing that the customers are wanting
How to Outperform Your Competitors
The purpose of stalking is not to copy what someone else is doing. It is for you to figure out what is working for your competition and use that knowledge to improve your own business. Emulate, not plagiarize. Your goal is to do it better than them.
Also, make sure your website and social media fit your voice and style. It is important not to blend into the mundane crowd but to appear unique and personable.
Please pay attention to what they are not doing well and fill in that gap at your business. As we know, a happy client is the best advertisement, so you will increase sales when you know what customers want. Turn your competitor’s fails into your wins.
What are customers wanting that few or none of your competitors are offering? If you are capable of giving it, this is a golden opportunity for you.
When potential customers see that you understand their problems, they will rush towards you and soon become your loyal customers. Looking into your competitors’ reviews will give you a clear idea of what you have to offer and what you can do in your business to keep the buyers satisfied.
If you have any questions or comments, please post them below.